Friday, May 24, 2013

Flashpoint: Episode 1x07 - He Knows His Brother (2008)


Created by: Mark Ellis & Stephanie Morgenstern

Cast: Enrico Colantoni (1), Hugh Dillon (2), Amy Jo Johnson (3), Sergio Di Zio (4), David Paetkau (5), Michael Cram, and Mark Taylor.

Read about 'Attention Shoppers', the sixth episode of Flashpoint.



Episode 7 - He Knows His Brother

This episode is about brotherhood and brotherly love. I love this episode because you can finally see the change in Sam. 

At the start of the episode you still see the young punk who just joined the SRU, but by the end of the episode, you see him connect with another human beings and he even directly helped in saving someone's life. I also love that we see the close relationship between Lou and Spike, a bromance that really deserves more notice. 

The special brand of humour the team members share also makes me laugh out loud. 





I love this scene. Sam's still the same Sam Braddock
we knew for the past 6 episodes until...

Ed: Comfy there Sam-o?
Sam: Very comfortable Sir.  
Ed: Get you some more coffee? 
Sam: All good Sir, but thank you for asking.
Jules: What are you doing here anyway?
Wordy: Course you just have to bring it up.
Sam: Well Constable Callaghan, that would be because yesterday I got...
Lou & Spike: ... tightest grouping at both long range and short range firearm practice.
Sam: Meaning you get to do monthly clean up and I get to do this. Missed a spot there Ed.
Ed: Yeah whatever.
Jules: Actually what I meant is why are you down here? Why aren't you upstairs training, you know, at something dangerous and exciting.
(Sam suddenly sees something in the paper that makes him sit up straight)
Wordy: Sam everything okay.?
Sam: Yeah... I just gotta...
(Sam walks away while Ed and Jules goes over to see what affected him)




Ed: Boss how's the infrared comin'?
Greg: Chopper arrived?
Ed: Yeah, it's messing up my hair.
Greg: Better you than me. Infrared. I'm 2 minutes away Eddie.


Finding joy in the little things.
"Don't suppose they have an 'armed 18 year old' filter for that thing"

Ed: Gentlemen and lady. This is our forward looking infrared. Every dot is a heat signature, every heat signature could be our subject.
Wordy: Don't suppose they have an 'armed 18 year old' filter for that thing.
Ed: Afraid not. Quad by quad.

Lou: What's your problem?
Spike: Woods. My people don't like 'em.
Lou: Your people? From woodbridge?
Spike: No. Romans. Three times we fought in the forrest against the Huns. Didn't go so good okay. 



Sam: I never had a brother must be nice.
Simon: It kinda depends. When he shoots your dad and gets the cops coming after him not so much.
Sam: A lot of guys I know same thing. Out of control. They just needed a little guidance. They turned out okay.
Simon: Yeah?
Sam: Yeah. Sure. This one guy I knew, basic training, loud, dumb, fat. Everybody says this is the guy that ditches out in a week. We took bets and everything. 6 months later he was at the head of the grad parade. Wasn't a guy there who wouldn't follow him anywhere. I spent a week on a mountain side with him. He told me about his family. Believe me. I figured man, if you can get through that, you can get through anything. 
Simon: So he turned out okay?
Sam: Yeah. Sure he did.



Spike: Ammonium trilodide. Homemade explosive of every anarchist, jackass and troublemaker. Kid hits me with ammonium trilodide. Unbelievable. 
Lou: I'm sorry man. I should have seen him. I'm sorry.
Spike: Bro seriously, shut up. But I will say this one last time. Romans and woods. All I'm saying.


My favourite bromance in Flashpoint.
Greg: According to the doc, the kid didn't just attack the cadet leader, he attacked the cadet leader after he saw him grab another kid. Abused kids lash out. This looks like a kid who got used to lashing out to protect someone else. Like a baby brother.
Sam: The path Simon marked for us is the exact opposite of where RJ was headed. Kid lied to us. I guess I was wrong.
Ed: I got a man down, and I can care less about this kid's pyscho trauma. This game is over now.
Greg: Now I don't want you rushing back in angry Ed.
Ed: It's a little late for that Boss.
Sam: Let me talk to the kid.
Greg: You know what I appreciate the effort Sam but this is their bond. You'll never gonna get brother to turn on brother. The kid's a lost lead.
Sam: Nah I just didn't get it before. Let me try one more time.


Sam finally connects. He's now a negotiator. 

Sam: You're just gonna let him hang? Like everybody else has?
Simon: You don't know anything about us.
Sam: I know this your brother's gonna get killed. Maybe that's what he wants. Is that what you want?
Simon: Whether it was a belt, or a cane, or sometimes just a fist, RJ was always there. Standing right in front of me taking the worst of it every time. He'd say "What are you so scared of huh? I'm still here aren't I?". How am I supposed to turn him in after that huh? I can't turn him... 
Sam: You'd be saving him by bringing him in. Or are you gonna spend your life wondering what might have happened if you just tried? Look... I promise you this... Together, we can bring your brother back alive. Cos so long as he's alive there's hope right?


"He ain't heavy, he's my brother." Sometimes, words are not needed.

My favourite quotes - "Here's today's lesson, armed and barricaded subjects tend to get freaked out by sirens and flashing lights.", "Let's not forget out subject is 18 years old, emotionally distraught, and afraid. Okay, he may be armed but he isn't Rambo. Let's see if we can bring him home in one peace okay." & "Look... I promise you this... Together, we can bring your brother back alive. Cos so long as he's alive there's hope right?"

Read about 'Never Kissed A Girl', the eighth episode of Flashpoint.


(1) Enrico Colantoni has acted in films like Stigmata (1999), Galaxy Quest (1999), and Contagion (2011). He has also played Veronica Mars' father Keith Mars in the television series Veronica Mars (2004-2007), and he has also guest starred in television series like Law & Order, NYPD Blue, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Monk, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Numb3rs, Brothers & Sisters, Bones, and Person Of Interest.

(2) Hugh Dillon has acted in films like Lone Hero (2002), and Assault On Precinct 13 (2005).

(3) Amy Jo Johnson has acted in films like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995), and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (1997). She played the role of Pink Power Ranger Kimberly Hart in the television series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (1993-1995), and as Julie Emrick in the series Felicity (1998-2002). She also guest starred in television series like ER and Spin City.

(4) Sergio Di Zio has acted in films like National Lampoon's Senior Trip (1995), and Just Buried (2007). 


(5) David Paetkau has acted in films like Final Destination 2 (2003), I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006), Goon (2011), and Man Of Steel (2013). He has goest starred in television series like Smallville, Stargate SG-1, CSI: Miami, Supernatural, and Dexter.




Posters are from the website TVpedia with screen grabs from the show.


Click here to follow Entitled to Opinion on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment