Sunday, May 12, 2013

Flashpoint: Episode 1x06 - Attention Shoppers (2008)


Created by: Mark Ellis & Stephanie Morgenstern

Cast: Enrico Colantoni (1), Hugh Dillon (2), Amy Jo Johnson (3), Sergio Di Zio (4), David Paetkau (5), Michael Cram, Mark Taylor, and Sarah Gadon (6)

Did you know? - Sarah Gadon was nominated for a Gemini Award for her role as Tasha Redford in this episode.

Read about 'Who's George?', the fifth episode of Flashpoint.



Episode 6 - Attention Shoppers

What does it take to push someone to want to commit suicide? The SRU doesn't just stop people threatening to hurt others, they also stop people from trying to harm themselves. 

This episode let's us see a different side of Jules and also does a great job of  juxtaposing the difference between the noisy and lively guys locker room with Jules' quiet and lonely locker room. It also drops more hints about the blossoming relationship between Sam and Jules. 

I really like what Jules says to the subject Tasha. Compared to the world Tasha lives in, it makes me feel like my world really isn't all that bad at all. And it's touching and very inspiring, to someone fight against all odds to keep her life together and doing the best she can. It makes me grateful for what I have and the people who care about me and love me. 





What would make you want to go out on a ledge like this?
I hope you never ever get to a point where you want to kill yourself.
I'm afraid of heights and just looking at this scene makes me nervous for her.

Even if you're strapped in with a safety rope, would you go out on a ledge?

This is why I'll never have the guts to go bungee jumping.
And the fact that members of the SRU would jump to save someone
else makes me admire their commitment and what they do.

Greg: You up to intervention?
Jules: Copy.
Greg: Okay. You're talking to a victim of an attempted rape. She was brutalised in retaliation for going to the cops. She's got no home support, but from what Luria says she was holding on. She was doing everything she could to keep her life together. Alright. And I'm here if you need me.
Jules: Tasha. My name is Jules. Tasha, you don't have to talk to me, but I would really it if you would. I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here to help. I'm going to step closer so you can hear me better. I'm stepping closer. Good. So, thanks for not jumping. Are you thinking you might? (Tasha nods her head) Well I'm sorry to hear that. You know I've never seen somebody who's ready to die put up such an awesome fight to stay alive. Can you tell me what happened today? With those girls?
Tasha: Why don't you ask them?
(Jules attaches a safety rope to the railing)
Jules: They gave you quite a haircut didn't they.
(Jules steps onto the ledge with Tasha)
Tasha: I thought they were gonna kill me.
Jules: I know, I know. You were really scared weren't you.
Tasha: They think I lied to the cops about Brianna's boyfriend, about what he did to me.
Jules: But you didn't did you? You didn't. 



Tasha: It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter.
Jules: Tasha it matters. It does matter. It was so brave what you did. You told the truth about what happened to you. You stood up to that guy. You fought back. Same with those girls. Come on Tasha. Stay with me. Stay with me.
Tasha: I... I killed a girl today.
Greg: Negative. The girl's in surgery, she's doin' fine. 
Jules: No you didn't. You didn't. You did not kill anyone. The doctors are fixing her right now. She's gonna be okay. Yeah. Come on Tasha. Please... will you give me your hand? Let's climb over.

Tasha: I can't. I can't. I can't. I'm dead anyway. 
Jules: Tasha I know that it feels that way. I know, but you're not.
Tasha: It is. It's just how it is. I can't go to school, I can't go to work, I can't go home. For what? My mum? I got nobody. I have nobody. You don't understand. You don't know how it is...
Jules: Okay actually, Tasha, look at me, look at me... I do understand. Actually I do, I do, and that's why I'm standing right here. That's why I'm here. Okay. And I want you to take my hand and I want to help you over. And you are gonna get through this. It might feel impossible but you have the rest of your life, okay. And it's gonna be tough, but it's also gonna be really really amazing. If you get through this, you can get through anything. I promise. Will you give me your hand? Give me your hand okay. Come on Tasha. Come on. 
(Tasha turns to give her hand to Jules and falls off the ledge but Jules catches her in time.)
Jules: We're okay!

Jules: Hey...
Tasha: Hey... Why did you do that for me?
Jules: Cos I don't give up without a fight. Just like you.
Tasha: I'm really sorry.
Jules: Don't be. Okay. These guys are gonna fix you up. Right.
Tasha: Thanks.

=P I dig these two as a couple.
Sam: Hey Jules.
Jules: Urm, welcome.
Sam: Sorry I, I knocked. Is this a curling iron?
Jules: Sam?
Sam: I er... I just wanted to say 'Nice save out there'. Didn't know you could fly. It was a long 4 seconds before we knew you were okay.
Jules: And I'm okay.
Sam: Smashed hard against the side of that tower.
Jules: And I'm okay.
Sam: You want a second opinion?
Jules: How's it look?
Sam: Likes a double bacon burger.
Jules: Thanks.

Sam: Anytime. So we're going to the diner for breakfast. You hungry? You can bring er... what's his name?
Jules: Scott.
Sam: Scott. If you want. 
Jules: Are you riding with Wordy?
Sam: Mini van express.
Jules: Will you save me a seat?


"Looks like a double bacon burger"
You gotta admire the things they would do to save lives. 
My favourite quotes - "No visible weapon, just a girl, and the pavement 200 feet below." & "You are gonna get through this. It might feel impossible but you have the rest of your life, okay. And it's gonna be tough, but it's also gonna be really really amazing. If you get through this, you can get through anything. I promise."

Read about 'He Knows His Brother', the seventh episode of Flashpoint.


(1) Enrico Colantoni has acted in films like Stigmata (1999), Galaxy Quest (1999), and Contagion (2011). He has also played Veronica Mars' father Keith Mars in the television series Veronica Mars (2004-2007), and he has also guest starred in television series like Law & Order, NYPD Blue, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Monk, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Numb3rs, Brothers & Sisters, Bones, and Person Of Interest.

(2) Hugh Dillon has acted in films like Lone Hero (2002), and Assault On Precinct 13 (2005).

(3) Amy Jo Johnson has acted in films like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995), and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (1997). She played the role of Pink Power Ranger Kimberly Hart in the television series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (1993-1995), and as Julie Emrick in the series Felicity (1998-2002). She also guest starred in television series like ER and Spin City.

(4) Sergio Di Zio has acted in films like National Lampoon's Senior Trip (1995), and Just Buried (2007). 


(5) David Paetkau has acted in films like Final Destination 2 (2003), I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006), Goon (2011), and Man Of Steel (2013). He has goest starred in television series like Smallville, Stargate SG-1, CSI: Miami, Supernatural, and Dexter.


(6) Sarah Gadon has acted in films like Charlie Bartlett (2007), A Dangerous Method (2011), The Moth Diaries (2011), and Cosmopolis (2012). She will also be voicing the character of Lana in the animation The Nut Job (2014). She has guest starred in television shows like Mutant X and Being Erica.


Posters are from the website TVpedia with screen grabs from the show.


Click here to follow Entitled to Opinion on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment