Saturday, November 10, 2012

Beauty And The Beast: Episode 1x05 - Saturn Returns (2012)



Created by: Sherri Cooper and Jenifer Levin

Network: The CW

Cast: Kristin Kreuk (1), Jay Ryan (2), Max Brown (3), Austin Basis, Nina Lisandrello, Brian White (4), Sendhil Ramamurthy (5), and Nicole Anderson (6)

Read about 'Basic Instinct' the fourth episode of Beauty And The Beast.



Episode 5 - Saturn Returns

I found the exchange between JT and Vincent kinda funny in the opening of episode 5 because JT feels like he's a nagging mother to Vincent. Which is ironic because of the difference in size and strength. But, as much as this show is about the 'beauty' and the 'beast', I find myself very drawn to the brotherly and unconditional love between JT and Vincent. All the sacrifices JT has made for Vincent, the bond they share is incredible! I think the only reason why Vincent is still alive and sane is because of JT. Actually, this kinda reminds of my SS members, they keep me sane when I go nuts because of work. 

Now on to the actual episode, I love it, but I also hate. 

I love it cos the feelings that Vincent and Catherine have for each other is SO obvious! This secret kind of, we-like-each-other-but-don't-want-to-put-a-label-on-it type of love is so delicious. Especially for the love-deprived girl hidden deep inside me. 

Why I didn't like it? Cos Evan kissed her, and cos I dread not knowing what's wrong with Vincent - especially since it made him miss his date with Catherine, which in turn made her misunderstand that he wasn't interested in taking the next step. ARGH! 

Another reason why I love this episode is because I so happen to be able to connect with it on a very personal level. It is purely by chance, but my birthday is in exactly 10 days. But because I'm crazy busy at work this entire month until 11th December, my good friends (aka my 'sisters') have planned a 2 day 1 night trip to Bintan for me. It's just going to be a nice comfy villa with 4 of my best friends in the world there. I'm turning 30 in 10 days and for the longest time my 'sisters' kept telling me I should have a huge 30th birthday bash. And I'm like 'No way!' So we settled on a nice quiet weekend trip. BUT... I digress. 

Something she said about her birthday really resonated with me. You will find the dialogue if you just scroll down a little. You know how Facebook allows you to put your relationship status as complicated. I think 'complicated' aptly describes what Vincent and Catherine's relationship is at the moment. Neither here nor there. And it's killing me! But if they got together now, there wouldn't be much of a series now would it. So I'm going to be patient and painfully wait for the day they finally admit their feelings for each other. No more hinting, no assumptions, and no more misunderstandings or doubts. Just pure unadulterated passion that will push aside all their uncertainties and make them realise how much they love each other. 

At episode 5, I have usually make the decision to carry on watching a new series or drop it like a hot potato. For Beauty And The Beast, it's obvious isn't it. I'm hooked! Good and truly hooked! I'm a sucker for romance, and while it looks to me that Evan is going to be coming in between Vincent and Catherine, I am hoping and praying to the writer-gods of the show that they will put me out of my misery by the end of the first season. 

As for the cases, while I think their cases aren't very interesting or unique, I like that the cases compliment the storyline between Vincent and Catherine and sometimes JT. Instead of the writers trying to focus on both. That being said. Next Thursday, can you come by faster!!! On the bright side... YAY!!!! Beauty And The Beast has been officially picked up for a full season! 


Ouch! He saw the kiss... 
... and he's obviously affected by it and really upset.
Okay I don't know why but when I first saw this scene,
my thoughts went straight to The Vampire Diaries and the
love triangle between Elena and the Salvatore brothers.
JT: What the hell is going on here? You're putting grooves in the floor.
Vincent: I need to get some air.
JT: Open a window. What's got you so amped up? Oh, you must have seen Cat. That's why you came home so late isn't it, you were with her.
Vincent: For a little bit, yeah. I know what you're gonna say man, but JT, she makes me feel like, like I have a life again.
JT: Awfully dangerous for a guy who's supposed to be dead. Seriously where are you going?
Vincent: For a walk.
JT: Stick to rooftops where its safe. 
Vincent: I'll be back soon.
JT: Nope. If you're going out, I'm coming with you. 
Vincent: No, no that is a bad idea.
JT: That makes us even. 


Checking to see Catherine's reaction to JT
telling her that he feels alive since meeting her.
Catherine: You guys have to be more careful.
JT: Urm... Me, choir. But seems that since he met you, Vincent feels alive. He thinks he can have a normal life and walk on sidewalks and stuff. You know who can't do that? Guys with death certificates. You know what we should do...
Catherine: Not we, me. It's the benefit of having someone on the inside. I'll call the local precinct and make sure there's nothing else on that surveillance tape.
Vincent: Er... that would be great but I think he's talking about Phase B.
Catherine: You seriously have something called Phase B?
JT: What if she's right? What if someone catches on to that photo. We've never taken the precautions we should around here, and if you're gonna go for walks, we need better security in case someone follows you home.
Vincent: Great! As if my life isn't walled up enough already.
JT: I'll start the inventory of what we need to steal from campus.
Catherine: I didn't hear that.
JT: I didn't say it. 

Catherine: As I got older, I thought that I understood more about life, and now it's like I've crossed this line and the world doesn't make sense anymore. My birthday used to be so simple. My mum she made me pancakes for dinner. And she'd buy me a new pair of flannel pajamas and we'd just watch old movies. I guess I, I'm not in the mood to play truth or dare with my friends when I spend most of my days lying to them, about where I've been, who I've been with. 


Catherine: It's a date.
(I love the expression on his face when he heard that.)
 
Catherine: Not a, not a date, date.
(I love her reaction when she realised what she said.)
Vincent: You're not spending your birthday on your own are you? You at least need a pizza or a movie or something.
Catherine: Are you buying?
Vincent: Theoretically, yes. Technically, no. That would be JT, the one with the paycheck.  
Catherine: You're offering me an entire night where I don't have to make up lies. 
Vincent: Yeah, I figured you could use a break from it. I'll see you at 8.
Catherine: It's a date. (Vincent stops what he's doing and looks at Catherine.) Not a, not a date, date.


=P I love the goofy smile on his face. Finally, JT smiles!
JT: What am I supposed to say?
Vincent: Er... how about yes.
JT: Er... Wake up Vincent.
Vincent: Er... finger.
JT: Coffee leads to lunch, lunch leads to dinner, dinner leads to drinks, and we all know where that leads.
Vincent: Exactly. And you could do with some of that.
JT: And what am I supposed to say after 3 months of dodging, she can't come see my house because...?
Vincent: I don't know, because you live with your parents?
JT: Oh that's stud-ly, that will get me laid. Thanks.
Vincent: Okay what if she was trustworthy? Okay if she was someone special that knew about us and understood.
JT: I did that. Remember? I was that trustworthy friend, lasted about a year.
Vincent: JT...
JT: I had roommates and a girlfriend. They start asking questions and you get caught lying to people you love about where you've been and what you've been doing. It's not a choice. You can never leave this secret behind, it's a lot easier to leave your life. I'm not trying to make you feel bad. But bringing someone else in, like Sarah?
Vincent: She might understand.
JT: First, she'll tell the little lies, and she'll start brushing off a friend here and there. It's impossible to avoid, you know that. If we actually care about someone we can't let them give up their world to live like this in ours.


Buddies talking about their sucky love life. Poor guys.

Vincent: Keeping a secret like this, it really takes a toll on a life. I mean, we didn't know what we were getting into back then urm.. but we really do now.

Catherine: Vincent...
Vincent: Well I didn't save you all those years ago for you to hide out in a dusty old warehouse. You know JT and I haven't celebrated a birthday in 10 years. I mean who would we invite anyway? Go to your party, you're lucky to have.
Catherine: Vincent, I just wish you could be there.
Vincent: You have a life. Go on. Go live it. 


=) BFFs. I really love this shot of the two of them here.
To all my friends who accept me for me and for
being goofy with me, thank you and I love you too. =)
Catherine: Thank you for the gift. I found it on the fire escape but I wanted to wait and open it with you.
Vincent: How was your birthday?
Catherine: Actually it was horrible. I was standing there with my sister and all of my friends and all of these people who supposedly know me, and they don't, know me, they don't really know me anymore.
Vincent: Your life isn't here Catherine. 
Catherine: Half of it isn't. And I know because in the other half, I have to lie to everyone. Act like I'm doing things I'm not, watch every word I say, put up walls and then remember where I've put them. 
Vincent: Hmm..
Catherine: I realised that what I wanted for my birthday was to sit across from someone that I don't have to pretend with. That's you.
Vincent: No I can't ask...
Catherine: You're not. Vincent I want to have you over for dinner, pull down the blinds, just sit down, have a glass of wine, not have to watch my every move, just be.
Vincent: The only reason you have to watch your every move is because of me. Besides I'm not the guy for that. You need the normal guy that can show up to the birthday party. 
Catherine: What makes you think I want a normal life? What I do, it isn't up to you. It's my choice. Not yours. My sister's going out. I'll have dinner by 8 and unless there's something else holding you back, I hope to see you there.


I really like this shot of her cooking.
I have a feeling its the kind of storyline where Vincent is very ill or dying
 and he'll stay away from her because he's dying and there's no cure for it. 
Okay, I obviously watch too many Korean dramas.
I hate misunderstandings. And I don't think this misunderstanding
and assumption that Vincent doesn't like her more than a friend
is going to go away any time soon. And that sucks!
Now Singaporeans would know who Felicia Chin is. I think this shot of 
Kristin Kreuk really reminds me of Singaporean actress Felicia Chin.

My favourite quotes: "Your isolated prison is starting to feel like my escape these days", "You can't assume what's right for him.", "What makes you think I want a normal life?", "Go to your party, you're lucky to have." & "You have a life. Go on. Go live it."



(1) Kristen Kreuk has acted in the television movie Snow White (2001) and films like Eurotrip (2004), and Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li (2009). She has also acted in television series Edgemont (2001-2005), and played Lana Lang in Smallville (2001-2009).

(2) Jay Ryan has guest starred in television series like Young Hercules, Xena: Warrior Princess, Legend Of The Seeker, and Terra Nova. He played Jack Scully in the Australian television soap Neighbours (2002-2005) and in the New Zealand dramedy Go Girls (2009-2012).

(3) Max Brown was a series regular on the television series The Tudors (2008-2010), and Spooks (2010-2011).

(4) Brian White has acted in films like The Family Stone (2005), Stomp The Yard (2007), The Game Plan (2007), Fighting (2009), and The Cabin In The Woods (2012). He has also guest starred in television shows like The Shield, Football Wives, Moonlight, CSI: Miami, and Body Of Proof. 

(5) Sendhil Ramamurthy is known for playing the role of Mohinder Suresh in the television series Heroes (2006-2010) and has guest starred in shows like Psych, Covert Affairs, CSI: Miami, and The Office. 

(6) Nicole Anderson is known for playing the role of Macy Misa in the television series Jonas L.A. and as Kelly Parker in the series Make It Or Break It. She also guest starred in television shows like Zoey 101, Hannah Montana, Happy Endings, and Ringer. She also acted in the film Mean Girls 2 (2011).


Poster from the website Disney Dreaming & screen grabs from the show

Click here to follow Entitled To Opinion on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment