Saturday, April 7, 2012

Untamed Heart (1993)

Directed by Tony Bill (1)

Cast: Christian Slater (2) and Marisa Tomei (3)

My favourite quotes - "He doesn't make sense, I don't make sense, together we make sense.", "He was like an angel you know? I never knew life could be like that. He was the one thing I followed through in my life, the one thing I didn't give up on. I was good at loving him.", & "You are my peace.".


Romantics always talk about ‘The One’. But does the elusive Mr Right or Ms Right really exist? Untamed Heart takes the stand that your Mr or Miss Right does exist. Marisa Tomei’s character has the worst luck with men but found love in an unexpected manner and with someone she would never consider if not for the unusual circumstances. 

The pace of the film seems a little slow at times, but it slowly but surely creeps its way into your heart and will make you think about its message and feel what the leads are going through. The chemistry between the two leads helps move the story along as well. It’s the kind of film that makes you go ‘Awww.. I want a man like that for myself’. But Adam (4) played by the very talented Christian Slater actually isn’t an easy man to love and be with because of his extreme shy nature and his awkward and strange ways. However, I think he was well matched with the easy-going and too-kind girl played by Marisa Tomei.

I don’t know if you’d agree with me, but I am of the opinion that when you stop looking for love, it finds you in the strangest way possible. Love happens. It just does. Don’t plan for it, don’t keep your options closed and restricted by looking for it, cos you just might be looking for love in all the wrong places. Love should be easy, it’ll creep up on you unknowingly. The hard part is after you fall in love and work to keep the relationship going. While the ending is not at all ideal to individuals who prefer a happily-ever-after-ending, I feel that the ending is as it should. For us to fully appreciate their love story. And I’m not too heartbroken about it cos I am of the mindset that it’s better to have loved and lost than not to love at all. 

Ultimately, I love watching Untamed Heart over and over again because it always makes me feel like there’s hope out there for us yet. That we will find someone special who is just right for us. And when that time comes, make sure you love that person with all your heart and soul, and treasure all the time you have with that person, cos you never know when it will end. As they say, all good things come to an end.

Caroline: Adam, your heart is diseased. You need a new one.
Adam: But this is my heart! I'm afraid that if they take it away I won't be able to love you the same way.
Caroline: You love with your mind and your soul, not actually with your heart.
Adam: (touching his chest) Then how come I hurt here when you're not with me?


(1) Director Tony Bill has directed films like My Bodyguard (1980) and Flyboys (2006)

(2) Christian Slater has acted in films like Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) and Bed of Roses (1996)

(3) Marisa Tomei has acted in films like My Cousin Vinny (1992), What Women Want (2000), Someone Like You (2001), The Lincoln Lawyer (2011), and Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011).

(4) Interestingly, in the film Adam, the title character, Adam, is also shy, more than a little strange, and smart but socially awkward.


The Eclectic Reviewer thinks… Untamed Heart is a movie that will remind you that there is a someone out there just for you, no matter how different you are. (4.5 of 5)


MoviePoster from Wikipedia

Click here to follow Entitled to Opinion on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment